Fill your belly with this rich, ooey gooey, ultimate comfort food. Potato cheese soup from scratch is incredibly easy to make and can be on your table in about 30 minutes. Serve with a side of crusty bread and green salad for a perfect meal.
There are few foods more comforting than rich soups. Soups that fill you with warmth and feel like they stick to your bones.
Those are the soups I want when it’s 40* outside or when the snow starts falling.
Potato cheese soup is one of those soups.
Can I just give a big THANK YOU to my mother-in-law for bringing this soup into my life? I honestly can’t remember if I ever had potato cheese soup before I came into the family but it’s definitely become a favorite.
What’s not to like? Potatoes? God’s most versatile vegetable. Cheese? Um, life without it is dull and flavorless. It’s pretty much perfection.
Ingredients needed for Potato Cheese Soup from Scratch
- russet potatoes
- chicken broth
- dry mustard
- cheddar cheese, shredded (don’t use pre-shredded)
- Bacon, optional
Tools needed for Potato Cheese Soup from Scratch
- 4qt sauce pan or stock pot
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- veggie peeler (optional)
- cheese shredder
This soup is completely from scratch. No cans of condensed whatever. And it really takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish! I promise, it’s a good one.
Potato Cheese Soup from Scratch
- 2 cups russet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (don’t use pre-shredded)
- Bacon, optional
- In 4qt sauce pan combine potatoes, chicken broth, and dry mustard.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crispy, if desired.
- Combine flour and milk in measuring cup then stir into sauce pan.
- Continue to cook while stirring until thickened and bubbly, 3-5 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese, stirring constantly until melted.
- Serve hot with optional bacon crumbles and extra shredded cheese, if desired.
Sharing is caring <3