I’ve never been a huge fan of sweet potatoes. Growing up my only real exposure was at Thanksgiving when the orange casserole filled with sweet potatoes or yams (it varied) topped with crispy marshmallows graced the food line. I like my marshmallows toasted and served with chocolate and graham crackers, not a root.
Several years ago we discovered Alexia Spicy Sweet Potato Fries and we were in love! They definitely have a good kick to them but they are fantastic! The heat balances the sweet in the perfect way. But buying those for our large family just didn’t make sense so I wanted to find something that we enjoyed just as much.
Enter Sweet Potato Fritters! I found this recipe from Ciao Chow Bambina while hunting for something else on pinterest one day but I knew I wanted to try it. I made it as is the first time but the cinnamon only amplified the sweetness of the potato so the next time I swapped the cinnamon for chili powder and a dash of cayenne for the perfect heat to sweet ratio!
These make a great side dish for nearly every meal but we’ve especially enjoyed them with sloppy joes, cold sandwiches, pork chops, and wraps. We whipped up some spicy fry sauce to eat with them but they are great with ranch or bbq sauce as well. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Fritters
adapted from Ciao Chow Bambina
1 large or 2 medium sweet potato(es) – about 1 pound – peeled and shredded
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
dash cayenne pepper
Oil for frying
1. In a large bowl combine shredded sweet potatoes, eggs, flour, breadcrumbs, chili powder, salt, and cayenne. Your hands will be your best mixing tools for this! Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In a medium skillet, heat 2-3 TBSP oil. over medium heat.
3. Scoop a golf ball sized portion up in your hands, form it into a ball, then squish it into a patty.
4. Gently place the potato patty into the hot oil. Cook approximately five minutes on each side until golden brown.
5. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
6. Add additional oil as needed for remaining fritters.
Spicy Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 TBSP ketchup
1-2 TBSP Sriracha (adjust depending on heat preference)
1. Combine ingredients in small bowl and mix well
2. Chill until ready to serve. Store extras in sealed container in refrigerator.
Sweet Potato Fritters are also freezer friendly! Cook according to directions then place in a single layer on a cookie sheet and flash freeze. Remove from pan and store in an air tight container or freezer bag. Reheat in a toaster oven until warmed through and crispy.
Pin to save this for later!