These Pepperoni Pizza Twists might be a kid-approved dinner, but parents will love how easy it is to customize to everyone’s tastes! Use homemade pizza dough or your favorite store bought brand in a pinch. Serve with warm pizza or marinara sauce and some veggies for a dinner everyone will love.
We are no strangers to pizza ‘round these parts. Every Friday night is homemade pizza night while we gather in the living room for a movie. It’s about the only time we allow the kids to eat a full meal in the living room and it’s become a family tradition we can’t imagine ditching.
After making pizza dough every Friday for the last decade (almost) I can make it in my sleep. I’ve included my recipe below but feel free to use your own favorite recipe or grab some from the store if you want to make this meal in less than 30 minutes. The dough takes about 45 minutes to an hour to rise so all together it will be about 90 minutes from start to finish for these if you go the homemade dough route.
Want to make your own sauce? You can find my recipe here. We make a large batch of this sauce about every two months or so because we never want to risk running out! If you don’t have a jar on hand or want to make your own, throw it together in the slow cooker all day or in a large pot on the stove and let it simmer while you make the twists. Like your sauce a little chunkier? Skip blending the diced tomatoes!
Pepperoni Pizza Twists Ingredients
- mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning
- pizza or marinara sauce
Tools used for Pepperoni Pizza Twists
- Stand mixer w/ dough hook
- I use my KitchenAid mixer for making dough. I’ve had my mixer for nearly ten years with zero issues and we use it 2-3 times each week.
- Pastry mat
- Large baking pan
- Rolling Pin
- You could attempt to stretch the dough into the right shape with your hands but a rolling pin will be significantly easier.
- Pizza Cutter
- A knife could be used for slicing apart the dough for twists but the pizza cutter is slick for sliding through in easy, fluid motions.
Pepperoni Pizza Twists
Makes 24 twists
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 Tbsp dry active yeast
8 oz warm water
1 Tbsp oil
72 Pepperoni slices
2-3 cups Mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1. Add flour, salt, sugar, and yeast to a stand mixer fitted with dough hook.
2. Turn mixer on low and slowly add warm water and oil.
3. Knead until dough pulls away from bowl and forms a ball. Dough should be soft and slightly sticky, but still able to be handled easily.
4. Let rise for 45 minutes in greased bowl or until doubled in size.
5. After dough has risen, cut the dough in half and roll one half out on a floured surface or pastry mat to 24” x 8”. It doesn’t need to be exact, but this will help you cut the twists into approximately 2” x 4” strips.
6. Spread out an even layer of cheese, followed by toppings, then more cheese on half of the long side of the dough. You don’t want to fill the twists too full or the toppings will all fall out.
7. Fold over the top side (empty half) of the dough to cover the toppings and pinch the dough together gently. Cut 12 strips, approximately 2 inches wide each, with a pizza cutter.
8. Gently lift a strip and twist while holding one end in place. Set on the prepared baking sheet. Toppings will fall out. Do your best to tuck them in the twist.
9. Repeat the twisting step with remaining strips then repeat the whole process with the other half of the dough. You should have 24 twists.
10. Mix together the melted butter and Italian season and brush over twists.
11. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with warm pizza sauce or marinara.
Sharing is caring <3