No need to go into a sugar coma this holiday season. Make yourself a batch of low-carb, sugar free, THM Peanut Butter Blossoms that taste better than the original!Jump to Recipe
It’s been over a year since I became a Trim Healthy Mama and while I have occasionally eaten something “off plan” I nearly always regret it – especially if it’s something sugary. I get a nearly instant headache and can feel my blood sugar spike. It’s shocking how quickly that burst of real sugar hits my bloodstream and makes me feel gross. I’ll stick to my THM treats, thank you very much!
And of course, during the holidays this can be so much easier said than done! There are incredible treats everywhere and while we are not doing holiday parties this year (thanks, COVID!) we are still trying to make things special for the kids by making up their holiday favorites. This means my kitchen is churning out cookies, puppy chow, and candies that I know aren’t for me.
I’ve found some great alternatives to some of my favorites. We discovered we really enjoy a puppy chow style mix made with nuts instead of cereal. I’ve also developed a deep affection for candied pecans made with THM Gentle Sweet from the new cookbook, Trim Healthy Future. I could eat an entire batch in one sitting!
But the thing I was missing the most this time of year was cookies. Peanut Butter Blossoms have always been my favorite. It’s no surprise given my intense love of all things peanut butter! So I played around and made a cookie that has all the flavors of a classic Peanut Butter Blossom but with none of the unhealthy ingredients that I no longer eat.
To be completely honest, I didn’t come up with this recipe all on my own. A woman in the Trim Healthy Mama Facebook group shared her recipe for soft chocolate chip cookies several months ago. I made them and both my husband and I agreed they were the best we’d had in a long time. I made multiple batches. Then I started tweaking. My first tweak became monster cookies and boy-howdy are they amazing. The second tweak became THM Peanut Butter Blossoms or Peanut Butter Cookie Cups. They can be either depending on if you make them in a muffin liner or on a cookie sheet!
What are Peanut Butter Blossoms?
Peanut Butter Blossoms are typically soft peanut butter cookies that have a Hershey’s Kiss placed in the center after they are done baking.
These low-carb, sugar-free, THM-S Peanut Butter Blossoms or Peanut Butter Cookie Cups are a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie with a dark chocolate chunk placed on top after they are done baking. All the classic flavors – none of the guilt!
How to make THM Peanut Butter Blossoms
One of the best parts of this low-carb Peanut Butter Blossom recipe is that it comes together exactly like a regular cookie recipe! Cream your butter and sweeteners together, add eggs, then add dry ingredients. Place dough balls on a cookie sheet or scoop into muffin liners and bake for 7-10 minutes. Top with a chocolate disc, chocolate chunk, or chocolate chips after removing from the oven and let cool until set.
Tips for success making THM Peanut Butter Blossoms
While this recipe for sugar-free Peanut Butter Blossoms comes together like a normal cookie recipe, here are a few tips so you are successful:
- Soften your butter completely without melting it
- Use quality oat fiber. I like the Lifesource brand which I purchased on Amazon. I have also heard really good things about the Trim Healthy Mama oat fiber. I guess some brands have an unpleasant taste and can affect baked goods.
- Use a cookie scoop to get uniform sized cookies
Ingredients for making THM Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Butter (I used salted but feel free to use unsalted if you prefer)
- Natural peanut butter (I used Costco Kirkland brand)
- THM Gentle Sweet*
- Blackstrap molasses
- Vanilla extract
- THM baking blend (you could also use an even mix of almond flour, coconut flour, and ground flax)
- Oat fiber (not the same as oat flour)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Mineral salt
- 85% dark chocolate or favorite sugar-free chocolate bars/chips
*I like using this calculator if I need to figure out how much of a different sweetener to use. I make my own Gentle Sweet using this recipe to save a little money. Also, xylitol is toxic to dogs so please use caution if you use this sweetener and have dogs at home. Trim Healthy Mama sells a xylitol-free Gentle Sweet that would also be a good option.
Tools needed for making THM Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Large bowl (if using hand mixer)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Rubber spatula
- Cookie scoop
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper (optional)
- Muffin cup liners (optional)
Trim Healthy Mama Sale Alert!
Ready to make these cookies but short on a few supplies? You are in luck, friend! Today (12/15) is a flash sale for baking ingredients and a few other fun items in the Trim Healthy Mama store.
– GENTLE SWEET 16oz:reg $10.99/sale $8.99/$2 off
– GENTLE SWEET 3lb:reg $28.99/sale $23.99/$5 off
– GENTLE SWEET XYLITOL-FREE:reg $9.99/sale $7.99/$2 off
– GENTLE SWEET XYLITOL-FREE 3lb: reg $27.99/sale $22.99/$5 off
*Sale prices good thru 11:59pm CST Wednesday Dec 16th
There are new products launching as well! Throw a couple of these in your cart since you are already paying for shipping 😉
Let’s make THM Peanut Butter Blossoms
THM Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Stand mixer
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- rubber spatula
- cookie scoop
- baking sheets
- parchment paper (optional)
- muffin cup liners (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter salted or unsalted
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup THM gentle sweet
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup baking blend
- 1/2 cup oat fiber
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp mineral salt
- sugar-free chocolate discs, bars, or chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and if desired, line cookie sheets with parchment or set up muffin cup liners.
- Cream together butter, peanut butter, THM gentle sweet, molasses, and vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add a splash of almond milk if dough is too dry.
- Use cookie scoop to place on cookie sheets lined with parchement paper or into muffin cup liners.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until set.
- Gently press chocolate disc, chunk, or chips into warm cookies then let cool completely.